Brooklyn, NY asked in Business Formation for New York

Q: Good evening, I have a business name registered as a not for profit in NYS. Can I change it to an LLC?

I registered the name in New York State as a not for profit organization. I have not done anything thereafter--all I have is just the name. However, I realize that I would rather have a LLC instead. How can I change the name to a LLC? Or must I come up with another name and register it as an LLC? My goal is to make profit, but I also want to help people.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
  • Manhasset, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You say you registered a "name". And, in another place, you call the existing not-for-profit entity an "organization." Even if it were an LLC, you need to form a new LLC since that entity was formed and exists under a special provision of the law. If there were significant financial issues, we might be able to come up with another solution, but you should simply dissolve the present corporation and create an LLC. Dozens of reputable companies will do this for a modest price.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.