Las Vegas, NV asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Louisiana

Q: My Grandparents left a will with the house in Monroe La. to their 2 sons, also on the will is my cousin and myself

before my dad passed (my uncle died 1st) he hired a lawyer and paid to have the house put in his name because he wanted to sell the property. my dad passed and the will has my cousin (my uncles oldest and me, my dads oldest) left on the will, I spoke to the lawyer about my dads passing and he said "I was just about to send your dad the final paperwork to sign" then he said he would need my siblings (3) and my uncles (4) names and security numbers and addresses to get letters to us. My dad passed April 6th, 2022 and we haven't received anything from this lawyer, I told him that we don't want to sell the property, just want to get it in our names so we can legally take care of it, I have spoken to him over the phone briefly and even flew down to Monroe La. to meet with him just seems like he always has excuses, "What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Sounds like you need to have a longer conversation with the lawyer to get a clearer understanding of what's the holdup here. If yoou are unable to have that conversation with the lawyer, then you may want to consult with a different lawyer in the area. Alternatively, if you have a personal lawyer where you live, perhaps he can call the lawyer where yoou father passed and discussyour concerns. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.