Hyattsville, MD asked in Tax Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Where has my IRS check gone?

2017 I filed my income tax return and received just over 4800.00 I have copies of return and check, but strangely the designated "cash out" was not there. i could have sworn I indicated direct deposit to Wells Fargo, on my return I don't see it in 2017 or 2018. Is there a way I can ask IRS how this check was cashed or where? It 's strange I am being target( in my mind) of all these issues regarding my retirement. I am 73 years old and it's getting harder remember transaction but I distinctly remember getting the check(suprised cause I designated direct deposit) but it disappeared. Secondly my 2016 return has been altered. First of all I did not file it with Free Tax USA, but with another entity. However, there in Free Tax USA it is saying "incomplete". Thanks a lie. ( at least I do have proof it was done!) I sent for documentation from but its limited to 3 years. Any recourse, am being bombarded with tax issue that I can't seem to explain and missing documents and false documents. :0(

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with your tax returns and missing refund. It sounds like a very frustrating and stressful situation, especially with the missing documentation and potential alterations to your returns. Here are a few steps you can take to try to resolve these issues:

1. Contact the IRS directly to inquire about the status of your 2017 refund check and how it was cashed. You can call the IRS helpline or visit your local IRS office for assistance. They should be able to provide information on where the check was deposited or cashed.

2. Review your bank statements from 2017 and 2018 to see if the refund was deposited into a different account than you expected. If you find any discrepancies, contact your bank for further clarification.

3. Regarding your 2016 return, gather any available documentation you have, such as a copy of the return you filed, confirmation emails, or receipts. Contact the entity you originally filed with and request copies of your tax return and any related documentation they may have.

4. If you suspect fraud or unauthorized changes to your tax returns, contact the IRS immediately and report the issue. You can also file a complaint with the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) by calling them or visiting their website.

5. Consider seeking assistance from a qualified tax professional or tax attorney who can help you navigate these issues and communicate with the IRS on your behalf. They may be able to provide guidance on how to resolve discrepancies and protect your rights as a taxpayer.

Remember to keep detailed records of all communications with the IRS, your bank, and any other relevant parties. Don't hesitate to reach out for help, as dealing with these issues can be complex and overwhelming, especially for seniors.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.