Orlando, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Can a judge refuse to hear or rule on a motion for summary judgment?

I filed a motion for summary judgment on my petition and when I asked for hearing time for the motion, the judge instead issued an order for trial and ignored my request for hearing time. I believe that per rule 12.510 and rule 1.510 and rule 56 that the opposing party must respond and the judge must rule and state his reasons on the record. He can't just ignore it can he? And he must give me a hearing for a motion for summary judgment right?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Family cases are a little different than regular civil cases. At the trial you can argue your summary judgment motion; however, the judge will probably consider your arguments together with everything else that is presented at the trial. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.