Miami, FL asked in Car Accidents for Florida

Q: Leaving accident without getting info just tag number and later find damage.

I was at a red light when a car changed lanes diagonally on my right side attempting to get in front of me when a red light changed and collided with my right front bumper. We were in heavy traffic and it wasn’t safe, therefore upon my first glance it appeared no damage, as other driver asked to not call police. They spoke little English, and as they drove off I got tag number, and upon arriving home I see there is minor damage to my front bumper. What should I do? Do I have any legal recourse? All I have is there tag number and description.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: When you file your claim with your insurance company, give them the tag number and the circumstances you have related. Using that number, the insurance company may be able to identify them, and choose to file a civil court claim against them. They might be able to recover a judgment, including a claim in your behalf for the deductible.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You could pursue it through the tag number. Depending on the UM coverage in your own policy, you could also explore the possibility of handling it as an uninsured motorist claim if the tags yield nothing, or the other side is not insured. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.