Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: What should I do to get my grandson back quickly, who is in foster care?

My grandson, my son's legitimate son, has been in Foster care for 14 months. After searching for him for more than a year and a half, we have been aware of this situation for 1 month now. Neither my son nor we knew anything since my daughter-in-law blocked us and kept moving. Now when I contact the person in charge of the case, she asks for a paternity test before giving me any other information. (My grandson was born within the bond of marriage, which continues to this day). I have been able to visit my grandson but the person in charge of handling the case does not give me information on how my grandson's case is being handled or if there is any court date related to this case. At this moment none of his parents can take care of him. What should I do to get my grandson back as soon as possible? Can I as a grandmother ask for custody or would it be another request that I should make?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If your son has not established paternity, then the Court has not established you as the child's grandmother. If your son is unable to legitimize the child and petition the Court for custody, as the grandparent, if you want to seek custody yourself, you should hire an attorney. It will be a difficult process for you to attempt to obtain even temporary custody, and my best advice is that you hire an attorney who can represent you, they can petition the court for a paternity test, and once paternity is established, you can request visitation and subsequently temporary custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.