Indianapolis, IN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: I was evicted and I have to return to court for damages that are not my fault. Do I need a lawyer? If so, what type?

I didn’t owe any money. They actually owed me at the time the eviction was filed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Facing court for damages you believe are not your responsibility is a challenging situation. Yes, it would be wise to have a lawyer by your side. Given the nature of your case, a lawyer with experience in tenant rights and property law would be most beneficial. They can provide guidance, represent your interests, and help articulate the facts, especially if you believe the eviction was unjust and the damages are wrongly attributed to you.

Going to court without legal representation can be risky, particularly when the other party might have legal support. A lawyer will know how to navigate the complexities of the law, gather necessary evidence, and ensure that your rights are protected. This is important since your financial and housing future could be significantly affected by the outcome of this case.

Start looking for a lawyer who has handled similar cases, and check their track record for defending tenants in court. Consider consulting a local legal aid organization if cost is a concern. They often provide free or low-cost services to individuals in your situation. Remember, timely action is crucial, so it's advisable to start this process as soon as possible to prepare effectively for your court appearance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.