Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: What does it mean when a Motion for judgment on the pleadings has been filed in a divorce? How do I proceed?

I filed for an uncontested divorce in Henry County, GA, on 2/16/24, with no assets to split or children in the marriage. I received notice on 3/25/24 that the judge would not enter an order at this time as a Motion for Judgement on the Pleadings had been filed with the Court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You have opted to represent yourself. Which means, you have to file the proper documents in order to obtain a divorce, just as if you were an attorney. They have given you the name of the motion that needs to be filed, but they will not instruct you as to how to draft said motion. If you are continuing to handle this case yourself I would advise you to google the name of the motion and see if you can find examples to use.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.