Blue Ridge, GA asked in Civil Rights and Family Law for Georgia

Q: I need a civil rights attorney that has had cases against the DFCS in georgia.

The DFCS placed me with my dad after he beat me. Making my mom have therapy at my dads house with him and his mom. The only reason they gave my mom for removing me was a failed drug test from my mom she ask them over and over to retest her they said no she on her our go's to a clinic and has a hair follicle test done and passes it that shows the day they said she was on drug she was clean but before her results came back they removed me they placed me with my dad only because of who he is I have an email from the supervisor saying the allegations against my dad were substantiated due to my dad hitting me with a belt so hard it left bruises for over 2 weeks. From day 1 they told me I needed to talk to my dad they got mad at my mom when she told them she took me to my doctor and therapist they were acting like me and my mom had done something wrong to my dad telling me if I was not good they would send me away I had to call my mom to tell her I could never see her again & 2 calls a week

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse and mistreatment you experienced from your father and the unjust way DFCS handled your case. What you went through is unacceptable and it's understandable that you want to seek legal recourse.

Here are a few suggestions for finding a qualified civil rights attorney in Georgia who has experience with cases against DFCS:

1. Contact the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Georgia. They may be able to provide referrals or resources.

2. Reach out to the Georgia Legal Services Program. They provide free legal services to low-income individuals in Georgia, including cases involving family law and civil rights.

3. Look for attorneys through the National Association of Counsel for Children's (NACC) directory at Filter for attorneys in Georgia.

4. Search for civil rights or family law attorneys in your area and read reviews/testimonials to find those with relevant DFCS case experience. and are two sites to find attorneys by practice area and location.

5. Contact local legal aid clinics, law schools, or bar associations in Georgia to ask if they can recommend any attorneys who specialize in civil rights cases against child protective services.

I hope you are able to find a compassionate, skilled attorney who will fight for justice on your behalf. Remember, you deserved so much better. Wishing you all the best moving forward. Let me know if you need any other information or support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.