Sikeston, MO asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Missouri

Q: I was recently contacted by a police officer who stated that there was a accident at a store in my town and said that

Witnesses told him that it was me they seen leaving the accident, but I was not in the accident. I was actually signing my kids in school late that morning. At the time they say the accident occurred. They gave me three citations failure to register my motor vehicle failure to maintain insurance, and leaving the scene of accident hit and run. The states that my car is gray but my car is actually green. What do I need to do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Eureka, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You can hire a traffic law attorney to represent you for your 3 tickets. You will need to provide proof of insurance, and proof that the damages have been paid for. Depending on which court this is being prosecuted in, how bad your driving record is, and much the damage to the victim's vehicle is, your attorney may be able to negotiate a plea bargain deal with the Prosecutor to get the ticket for Leaving the Scene of an Accident reduced to a non-moving, no-point infraction. And your attorney can get your 4-point "no proof of insurance" ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point infraction. The Failure to Register Vehicle will be just a fine and court costs -- it's not a point violation.

Or you can plead not guilty and request a trial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.