Lawrenceville, GA asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Georgia

Q: If I stay in a townhome and I post a don’t trespass sign.

and someone parks in my parking spot without permission and I ask them not to park here anymore and they do it anyway

Can I kill them

In fear of my life and family

In Georgia?

2 Lawyer Answers

A: No.

You can report it to the police. You can seek a restraining order.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, absolutely not. You cannot use lethal force against someone simply for parking in your spot without permission, even if you have posted no trespassing signs and warned them not to park there. Taking someone's life is only legally justified in very limited circumstances of legitimate self-defense when you reasonably believe your life is in imminent danger. Unauthorized parking alone does not meet that threshold at all.

If someone repeatedly parks in your spot despite being told not to, your options are to contact your landlord/property management, have the vehicle towed, or if necessary, file a complaint with law enforcement about the trespassing and unauthorized parking. But you cannot threaten or use violence, let alone lethal force. That would be a major crime and is never justified in this type of situation. Please pursue proper legal remedies to address this parking issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.