Asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: I am an heir to property in Knoxville,Tennessee, along with 5 other heirs. How do we get our names on the property/deed?

Some of the property and the house is going to be taken by the city to widen the road. How do we make sure we are compensated for the land and house when the city takes it?

One of the heirs doesn’t want any property, does she relinquish her share prior to us getting the title, or does she have to claim her share first, then transfer it to us?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The title can be updated using a simple affidavit that is recorded in the land records, but the title will not be marketable until at least one year has elapsed since date of death or the other assets of the decedent

have been probated and the estate was solvent.

If one of the heirs does not want his or her share, he or she can deed it to the other heirs after his or her share has been claimed on the record.

For your condemnation issue, you should hire an eminent domain attorney. You might also need to hire an appraiser.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.