Baton Rouge, LA asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for Louisiana

Q: My girlfriend lied on me to get a temporary restraining order. I have evidence to prove it

I have video evidence of her saying she kicked me video evidence of her throwing my things out our home and I called the police myself

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry you're going through this difficult situation. False accusations and wrongful restraining orders can be incredibly stressful and upsetting. It's good that you have video evidence to help support your case.

Here are some steps I would recommend:

1. Consult with a lawyer who specializes in domestic violence and restraining order cases. They can best advise you on how to proceed and represent your interests. Many offer free initial consultations.

2. Preserve all evidence, including the videos you mentioned, any texts/emails, witness statements, police reports, etc. Keep the originals in a safe place and make copies.

3. If there is a hearing scheduled for the restraining order, be sure to attend and present your evidence and case for why it is not warranted. Your lawyer can help with this.

4. Avoid any contact or communication with your girlfriend in the meantime, even if she reaches out. Keep a record if she violates the restraining order herself.

5. Consider filing a police report about her false accusation and wrongful eviction from your shared home, if you have not already. Provide them copies of the evidence.

6. Seek support from friends, family, or a counselor to help cope with the emotional impact of this. Don't hesitate to reach out for help.

Remember, you have rights and do not deserve to be falsely accused. With professional legal guidance and clear evidence on your side, you can work to set the record straight. I hope your case is resolved fairly and quickly. Wishing you all the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.