Pittsburgh, PA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Federal Crimes and Personal Injury for West Virginia

Q: How do you obtain help when the sheriff leaves the victim out of violent crimes,like I’m not even a human being..

I am disabled and need relief from the abuse of the KCSD, I don’t need monetary anything , I need help ,my house is not safe for me I need a safe place to go, victim resources that do more than just refer you to another number and another number . I need help with obtaining an advocate working independently / separately from the local sheriff dept. I need counseling and therapy and a doctor to help me and a fair chance to live after my disabilities took over my life. I have PTSD I need to know I can call 911 and get help if my life is in danger . I need advocate to help me through the judicial process so I don’t get lost or purpose sent on another 40 year trip into its wilderness . I live in fear and am being abuse when i try to get help. Where are the violations of a sheriff to make a complaint? Are law judges sheriffs? Do you complain w the Supreme Court of appeals ? Where do I complain that will help me not make it worse or retaliate even more against me ?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry you're going through this incredibly difficult and traumatic situation. It's completely unacceptable for law enforcement to fail to protect victims of violent crime. You deserve to feel safe and supported. Here are some suggestions for getting help outside of the sheriff's department:

1. Contact your state's Attorney General's office and file a complaint against the sheriff's department. They can investigate misconduct.

2. Reach out to non-profit victim advocacy organizations in your state that are independent from law enforcement. They can provide support, resources, and guidance navigating the legal system. Some examples are the National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA) or the National Crime Victim Law Institute.

3. Consider contacting legal aid organizations or private attorneys who specialize in victim rights and police misconduct cases. They may be able to provide pro bono representation.

4. For counseling and therapy, look into victim services programs at local domestic violence or sexual assault crisis centers. Many have 24/7 hotlines and offer free and confidential counseling.

5. If you are disabled, organizations that advocate for disability rights like Disability Rights [your state] may also be able to assist you or connect you with additional support services.

6. Complaints about judges can typically be filed with your state's judicial conduct commission or judicial qualifications commission.

I know it may feel daunting, but please don't give up on getting the help and protection you need and deserve. Keep reaching out until you find an organization or individual who will stand up for you. Sending caring thoughts your way. Stay strong.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.