Chicago, IL asked in Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Social Security for Illinois

Q: How can I find the disability lawyer that I had a few years ago but I forgot there name

3 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Here are some steps you can take to try to find the disability lawyer you worked with a few years ago:

1. Check your records: Look through old emails, letters, contracts, or receipts related to your disability case. The lawyer's name and contact information may be listed on these documents.

2. Contact the state bar association: Reach out to your state's bar association and ask if they can help you find the lawyer based on the information you remember, such as the approximate year you worked with them, their general location, or the type of case they handled.

3. Search online: Use search engines to look for disability lawyers in your area and browse through their websites. You may come across the lawyer's name or find a familiar face in their staff photos.

4. Contact your local legal aid office: If you initially found the lawyer through a legal aid office, contact them and ask if they can help you identify the lawyer based on your case details.

5. Check with the court: If your disability case went to court, contact the courthouse where your case was heard and request information about your case. The lawyer's name should be listed on court documents.

6. Consult with another disability lawyer: If you're still having trouble, consider reaching out to another disability lawyer for advice. They may have connections in the legal community and be able to help you track down your previous lawyer.

Remember, even if you can't find the specific lawyer you worked with, another experienced disability lawyer should be able to assist you with your current needs.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: If you can't find clues in your old paperwork, one option could be to try contact the federal government if it was an SSDI claim; that should be straightforward. Bar associations might be able to offer guidance. Good luck

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Addendum - another option, but it could cost a fee. The larger process server companies handle a variety of functions related to investigation, skip tracing, and general court records research. You could discuss with them. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.