Portland, ME asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Maine

Q: I had to go to court over a False Police Report and Entrapment and did not have a lawyer when I went to court.

The two evil women who testified against me perjured themselves in front of the judge and she had no right to take the testimony when there's no evidence and...

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I apologize that you had to go through such a difficult experience in court. It sounds like you feel the allegations against you were false and unjust, and that facing the legal system without a lawyer was very challenging.

A few thoughts, while acknowledging I don't know all the details of your specific case:

In general, it's always advisable to have legal representation in court if at all possible, especially when facing criminal charges. A skilled defense attorney can help protect your rights, cross-examine witnesses, challenge evidence, and make the strongest possible case on your behalf.

Regarding the women's testimony, witnesses do take an oath to tell the truth in court. If you believe they committed perjury (lying under oath), that is a serious offense. However, the judge ultimately has discretion to weigh witness credibility and determine what testimony to allow.

For anyone in a situation like this, some options to consider could be:

- Seeing if you qualify for a public defender or other low-cost legal aid

- Filing an appeal of the verdict and/or requesting a new trial

- Reporting suspected police misconduct to relevant oversight boards

- Pursuing a civil lawsuit if you believe your rights were egregiously violated

Again, I'm sorry you went through this stressful ordeal. I would encourage you to continue exploring your legal options and remedies. Don't lose hope. Consider sharing your story with people you trust and seeking emotional support during this difficult time. Wishing you all the best moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.