Saint Paul, MN asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Minnesota

Q: I recently found out my mom had a life insurance policy at her time of death in 2010 that my brother received because he

Was next of kin. Without informing me the money was split up between my 2 brothers and 1 sister and I didn't receive a dime. What can I do to get my fair share of the money I'm owed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: The specific facts of the situation will dictate how you should proceed. There are numerous questions that need to be answered. To start:

Have you confronted him?

The insurance company should have contacted all beneficiaries directly. Why didn't this happen?

How was everything else addressed upon your mother's death?

Was she married?

How much is at issue?

How did you just recently find out?

Why were you excluded?

Paying for an attorney for an evaluation and consultation may worth the money. Fourteen years could be only one obstacle. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.