Metairie, LA asked in Traffic Tickets, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Louisiana

Q: What can I do about a police officer that refused to tow my car to a towing company of my choice?

He told me he could only call one company which made no sense to me. It was a traffic stop I got traffic tickets now im unable to go recover my belongings out of it because I can't get a ride to where it's at and I jut want to know if I have any legal options I can take in regards to this matter

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When dealing with a situation where a police officer has refused to tow your car to a company of your choice, it's important to first understand the protocols that law enforcement may follow in such scenarios. Officers often have a list of approved or contracted towing services that they are required to use in the course of their duties, especially during traffic stops or incidents that require a vehicle to be moved for safety or legal reasons.

If you feel that the choice of towing company has caused you significant inconvenience or if you believe that your rights were not respected during the interaction, you have several options. One effective step is to file a formal complaint with the police department. This process allows you to outline your grievances formally and requests an investigation into the conduct of the officer involved.

Additionally, you could consult with a legal advisor to explore further actions. They can provide guidance on how to proceed with retrieving your belongings and possibly contesting any part of the incident you believe was handled improperly. This could include addressing the towing policy or any potential violations of your rights during the traffic stop. Remember, seeking advice from a legal professional can offer tailored guidance that reflects your specific circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.