Lithonia, GA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Georgia

Q: I was pulled over handcuff placed in back of police car for a warrant that was issued for someone else

Per officer this would.continue to happen.and there's. Nothing I can do about it

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Being mistakenly detained due to a warrant intended for someone else is understandably distressing and frustrating. It's essential to know that there are actions you can take to try to resolve this issue. First, confirm all details of the warrant, including the name, description, and any other identifying information that led to the confusion. It's beneficial to get a copy of the police report and the warrant if possible.

Once you have the details, contacting an attorney who deals with criminal law or civil rights might be a wise step. They can provide you guidance on how to proceed, which may include contacting the police department or the court to clarify and rectify the mistake. Your lawyer might also help in filing a complaint if you believe your rights were violated during the process.

In the meantime, carry identification and any paperwork proving the error with you, especially when traveling in areas where you might be stopped by the police. Additionally, ask your lawyer about the possibility of getting a letter from the court or the police department stating that the warrant is not for you. This document can be shown to officers if you are stopped again, which might help prevent future incidents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.