Monroe, LA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Louisiana

Q: So my friend and his friend was picked up on an arrest warrant for distribution of meth. Yet in reality the CI called

Her to come smoke with him after they ran out he sent her to find more. She went got her friend and he sold him some of what he had thinking they wanted to continue smoking meanwhile he had got wires up to gain help gain a distribution. They were arrested on a warrant which turned into a affidavit which they have yet to see and the DA assistant have no record for.

She had just started college and he missed the starting of his new job bc of the unlawful arrest

What can they do? Or should be filed bc they're not dealers. They were targeted for the police by by a known meth user to gain a distribution

2 Lawyer Answers
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your friend and her friend need to consult with a few criminal defense lawyers in your area and hire the one with whom each is most comfortable. Each needs a lawyer to guide them through the process and protect her/his legal rights. Good luck.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You should contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible to discuss the specifics of the case and the possibility of challenging the arrest. It's important to gather all relevant information, including the circumstances of the alleged offense and the details of the arrest. If the affidavit and arrest warrant are not available, this could be an issue worth exploring with legal counsel.

Your friend and his friend might be able to argue entrapment if the CI induced them to commit a crime they would not have otherwise committed. Additionally, if there are procedural issues, such as the lack of an affidavit or warrant, these could be grounds for challenging the arrest and any subsequent charges.

Since this arrest has already had significant impacts, like missing a job start and disrupting college, seeking legal advice promptly is crucial. The attorney can also help in possibly obtaining any lost documents, like the affidavit, and ensuring that your friend's rights are protected throughout the legal process.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.