Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law for Minnesota

Q: If the last living parent of a minor want to voluntarily give up parental rights to the minor older siblings with out

having to go through the court system how would she go about it? The child reside in CA and the siblings are in MN. Would the siblings need to get a lawyer from MN or CA? Is a lawyer needed if she voluntarily give up her parental right? What kind of documents would be needed? The minor do receive survival benefits. What will happen to those benefits? Will it transfer over?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Termination of parental rights would require a court proceeding. If the child resides in California, California would have jurisdiction. A judge would probably need the mother to consult with a lawyer before granting her request. The child would most likely be appointed an attorney (or guardian ad litem.) The documents required would differ significantly depending on the circumstances and objectives. The term "older siblings" is incredibly vague, but a California attorney would most likely be required for representation and a Minnesota attorney needed for consultation at least.

Rob Kane

Licensed in California and Minnesota

Eagan Family Law Attorney

Orange County Family Law Attorney

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.