Asked in Estate Planning for Kansas

Q: My deceased mother put her ira in my name. My stepdad is refusing to let me see her will or giving me any information.

He is refusing to give me the will or information.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Usually an IRA has a designation of beneficiary. Rarely does it go through an Estate. If you know that the IRA is yours, hopefully with the designation clause, then contact the IRA Administrator and make a claim. Otherwise you must sue the Administrator for breach of contract, conversion, etc.

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: If an IRA has a beneficiary designation or a payable on death (POD) provision, the transfer of that asset is a non-probate transfer. Typically, a IRA custodian will convey to the beneficiary's benefit an IRA account upon presentation of a death certificate and, proof of identity.

As for the probate estate, any heir at law is an interested party and may petition to open the estate. Once the petition has been filed, a disclosure proceeding may be requested by any interested party. K.S.A. 59-2216 provides:

59-2216. Disclosure proceedings. Upon the filing of a petition by a personal representative or any person interested in the estate, alleging that any person has concealed, converted, embezzled or disposed of any property belonging to the estate of a decedent or ward, or that any person has possession or knowledge of any will or codicil of a decedent, or of any instruments in writing relating to the property of such decedent or ward, the court, upon such notice it directs, may order such person to appear before it for disclosure. Refusal to appear or submit to examination, or failure to obey any lawful order based thereon, shall constitute contempt of court.

The court may also point a special administrator pursuant to K.S.A. 59-710 and authorize such special administrator to take possession or obtain such records or information as may help to identify the IRA custodian or to procure the will, if one exists, so that the estate may be fully probated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.