Alpharetta, GA asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Summer vacation child support question

I am a single parent, and divorced 4 years ago ,

All our grandparents are abroad (me and my ex)... this July summer break we split the kids for two weeks

I would like to take my kids to be with with the grandparents and family for two weeks.

My ex is OK with that.

The thing is that i need to buy them tickets AND pay child support for this month where my ex only have minimal expenses that month on them

and i have them for two weeks on that month!

She wont let go of the child support like a vampire to blood, although she is extremely wealthy (her assets are 10x times what i have)

its becoming impossible for me to take them to see the grandparents and my family, and they all torn up by that situation

If I represent myself, and go to a judge and display the scenario, do you think that a judge will be OK to let go the child support for this specific month? Is it possible to go to a judge without a lawyer?

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If a court order says you pay child support then you pay child support. If the order doesn't suspend child support during periods of visitation then child support remains the same, even during those periods. The child support worksheet you should have had, when this support was calculated, should have taken into account each persons parenting time. Sometimes that means people are paying support even when they have the children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.