Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Wisconsin

Q: Vehicle I no longer own was in an accident but I'm listed as the owner. .

I reccieved a letter from a law firm assuming that I am the owner of a car involved in an accident. I have not owned the car since 2010. The lawyer for the client wants to know If I insured the vehicle. The client who caused the accident has never registered a vehicle in the State of Wisconsin. Should I call the lawyer and say I am no longer the owner of the vehicle? I don't have proof that I am not.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Wisconsin attorney could advise best, but you posted last week - and your matter needs prompt attention. Let the attorney know that you no longer own the vehicle. Contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles to ask them to check if there are any records of you transferring vehicle or surrendering your plates. Ask them if your name is still tied to the vehicle's VIN on the title. If your name is still connected to the vehicle, clear this up with the DMV as soon as possible. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.