Stone Mountain, GA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Do out of state custody orders have to be domesticated in order to be enforceable? what's the timeline req. to do so?

What happens if the out of state order wasnt domesticated? How long is the custody order valid for without domestication? Are there statue of limitations regarding this? My child's father hasn't allowed me to see our son since January of this year. Our son just turned 2 on May 12th. I've not been permitted to provide for my son since I have been block on social media & my telephone number by my child's father and both his parents. I have been prevented from being in my child's life.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you have an order that is not being followed you should speak with an attorney and provide them with more information, so they can advise you on the next steps. Because what you do next depends on where the order originated, where the parties reside now, what allegations of contempt are being made, if you are seeking a contempt order or if a modification is necessary, etc. Speak directly with an attorney so you can provide more facts and get actual informed advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.