Columbia, TN asked in Car Accidents and Business Law for Tennessee

Q: I am having trouble finding a lawyer to help with a commercial property damage claim/insurance company.

Someone drove their car into our building and it took out our HVAC unit/ductwork and damaged the metal building wall through to the inside. The insurance company refuses to pay the full amount - they approved the estimate we sent but insist on depreciating the value of the 5 year old unit which will leave us paying additional money for the replacement. We have been trying to operate our business (a retail store) with no AC and temps inside are intolerable - for us and potential customers. Is this normal and should we expect them to pay the full amount if they approved the estimate? They have agreed to add some for lost business but not enough to cover the remaining amount. Does 'suffering' come into play here because these are terrible working conditions - not to mention for our customers.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hire an attorney file suit against all liable parties, such as driver, car owner, lessor, etc. If under $ 25K in damages, I would sue in Sessions to get to Court faster and cheaper. But you will probably have to try it twice that way. Owner may be judgment proof, so expect to recover from his insurance company ( which is not a defendant).

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Unfortunately, the depreciation issue you mention does confront claimants in property losses such as yours, depending on the carrier and their philosophy toward customer service. My colleague raises a good point - explore the liability of all parties involved. Also review your policy. While the equipment may have depreciated, the fact remains that you need a working HVAC system to run your business, and that's the reason for obtaining an insurance policy. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.