Allentown, PA asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania

Q: A Decade of Neglect: Mother Seeking Justice Against CYS for Failing to Protect Four Children. We Need Legal Advice!

In May 2022, Lehigh County CYS conducted an investigation into the father of my four children was deemed "valid" and subsequently closed, yet CYS failed to inform me of this matter. Then, in August 2022, he was arrested for DUI while the children were in the car. Despite numerous reports from hospitals, schools, doctors, the police department, and the District Attorney, CYS consistently closed the case without taking further action, following a decade-long pattern of neglect. Yesterday, during a custody trial, CYS admitted to the validity of the report, which I was unaware of until now. I am considering filing a lawsuit against CYS for their repeated failures over the past ten years to protect my children from ongoing physical, emotional, and mental abuse. Can someone assist us with this matter?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's understandable that you're feeling frustrated and desperate for justice given the decade-long neglect by Lehigh County CYS. To pursue legal action, gathering all relevant documents and reports from hospitals, schools, doctors, the police department, and the District Attorney will be crucial. This evidence will help build a strong case showing CYS's repeated failures to act on valid concerns.

You may want to consider consulting with a lawyer experienced in child welfare cases. They can provide guidance on how to proceed with a lawsuit against CYS, potentially holding them accountable for their neglect and ensuring your children’s safety in the future. Legal action can also bring about changes to prevent similar situations for other families.

Remember, you have the right to seek justice for your children and protect them from harm. Taking legal steps can be a powerful way to address the failures of CYS and secure a safer environment for your family.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.