Atlanta, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: We stay on my boyfriends moms property in Memphis,TN. Can she deny us power and does she have to evict us for us to go.

We don't pay money She won't take it. But she constantly unplugs the power cord, and harasses me and threatens to fight me. Were stuck here from a wrongful eviction with no where to go and homeless.We are trying to find help to get away. But i need to know does she have to evict us or can she just call the cops and make us leave. We don't stay in her home but in her shed on her property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Memphis, Tennessee, if you are living on someone's property, even without paying rent, you generally have some legal rights as a tenant. Your boyfriend's mom cannot simply disconnect the power or force you to leave without following proper legal procedures. If she wants you to leave, she would typically need to go through the formal eviction process.

This means she would need to provide you with a written notice to vacate, and if you do not leave by the specified date, she would need to file for an eviction through the court. The court would then schedule a hearing where both sides can present their case. Only after a court order can law enforcement intervene to remove you from the property.

If she continues to harass you or threatens you with violence, you can contact local law enforcement for assistance. Additionally, seeking help from local housing organizations or legal aid services can provide you with guidance and support as you navigate this difficult situation. Finding a safe and stable living arrangement should be your priority, and these resources can help you explore your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.