Asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for New York

Q: How to locate someone's information, like marital status and properties?

Someone in VA, US sued my friend in China, over a family inheritage matter. She tried to collect more information about the plaintiff for her lawyer. But since the plaintiff's family lives here for a long time, she is wondering how she can collect as much public information as possible? I have tried sites like Truth Finder, but it only provides very limited info. She majorly needs to know the plaintiff's father's marital status and properties. This family immigrated to USA maybe 20 years ago.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To locate someone's information, like marital status and properties, you can start by searching public records available online. Websites such as the county clerk or recorder's office can provide access to marriage records, property records, and other legal documents. These resources can often be accessed for free or for a small fee, depending on the county.

Another useful approach is to look up court records, which can give you detailed information about lawsuits, inheritances, and other legal matters. You can check the Virginia state court website for any publicly available case information. This might include details about the plaintiff and their family members, including marital status and properties owned.

Lastly, consider using online databases that aggregate public records. Websites like Spokeo, Intelius, or BeenVerified might offer more comprehensive reports. While they may not provide everything you need, they can be a good starting point to gather additional information about the plaintiff and their family history in the U.S.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.