Great Bend, KS asked in Criminal Law for Kansas

Q: If someone is sentenced to 27 months kdoc but have served over that in jail time credit would they be immediate release

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If someone is sentenced to 27 months in the Kansas Department of Corrections (KDOC) but has already served more than 27 months in jail, they may be eligible for immediate release. The time already served should be credited towards their sentence.

To confirm this, it's essential to review the official court documents and jail records. These documents will detail the exact amount of time credited and any additional factors that might affect the release date.

You should also contact the KDOC or the individual's legal representative to ensure all records are accurate and up to date. If everything checks out, the person should be released promptly since their time served exceeds the sentence length. However, it's always good to verify with the relevant authorities to avoid any delays or misunderstandings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.