Lakeland, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: My daughter passed away last September and I am the caregiver however the father has recently been released from prison

and he wants weekend visiting but he is a stranger to my youngest granddaughter he spent most of her life denying he was her father. My oldest granddaughter is 9 and remember him choking her momma and all the fighting. We have taken them to have an assessment with a therapist and they are on a waiting list to begin therapy. Can he come and take them from my care just because he is the father of record? I have agreed to let him start a call schedule however he has only called twice. I need advice as to what to do to ensure I'm doing the right thing for my grands.

Thank you for your time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to seek guidance from the court. Is there a court order that makes you the caregiver? Is there a court order that defines the father's rights? If not then you need to get one. You will not be able to exclude the father from the children's life but the court will make sure that anything that happens is in the children's best interest. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.