Waterville, ME asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Maine

Q: How can I transfer the house we live in from my husband to myself due to his terminal illness?

My husband is terminally ill with not very much time unfortunately. The house we live in is in his name only regarding mortgage and deed. He is also on Mainecare. He left me everything in his will but can Mainecare still come after the house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel J. Eccher
Daniel J. Eccher
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Winthrop, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: You need to consult with a lawyer who knows MaineCare rules. You may be able to transfer your husband's interest in your home to yourself if you have specific "gifting" authority in his Power of Attorney. Generally, gifts from a MaineCare member to their spouse are allowed under the MaineCare rules. Also, in general, if there is a joint tenant on the deed with a MaineCare member, the state will not "come after the house" after they die, but the Estate Recovery process is complicated and risky.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.