Vidalia, GA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: What do you say or do when the police tried to charge me with trespassing at a hotel room for the wrong eviction

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If the police tried to charge you with trespassing at a hotel room due to a wrongful eviction, it's crucial to remain calm and assert your rights. Explain to the police that you believe there has been a mistake regarding your eviction. Provide any documentation or evidence you have, such as a valid reservation, payment receipts, or communication with hotel management that supports your right to be there.

Request that the police speak with the hotel management to clarify the situation. If you were evicted without proper notice or due process, highlight this to the officers. Make sure to document everything that happens, including the names and badge numbers of the officers involved, as well as any witnesses who can corroborate your account.

After the incident, consider contacting a lawyer who handles tenant or housing disputes. They can help you understand your rights and potentially take legal action against the hotel if your eviction was indeed wrongful. Gathering all relevant information and seeking legal advice will be crucial steps in resolving the issue and protecting your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.