White House, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Can a person get a 1-8 split after violating on state probation and catching new charges?

My boyfriend is on 4 years and has 26 months done on it plus has caught a drug charge vandelism, assault, and retaliation. He has set in jail for a year now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I do not know what a 1-8 split is. But boyfriend needs an attorney now. The retaliation charge alone will merit a large bond if one is set. Any charge, not just a conviction, is a violation of probation. So he will probably at least complete the 4 year Sentence incarcerated, and may get further consecutive Sentences. His lawyer needs to prepare for Preliminary Hearings now, as well as the VOP hearing, and forget about getting out on probation for a long time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.