Savannah, GA asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Hello im currently trying to figure out how to get my boyfriends name on our sons birth certificate.We’re not married.

My sons bio father does nothing for him,doesn’t see him anymore he also stays in another state and i doubt he’s willing to give up his parental rights even though i can prove he isn’t fit to be a parent.My boyfriend has been caring for my son and doing for him since he was 1 month old.We do plan to get married this year just not sure when.My sons bio father recently came around saying that he’s going to court to take my son which i don’t understand how he has a chance.He also hired a private investigator to watch me *even tho im either always home with my son or taking him places* I just would like some understanding of what to do.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You aren't able to simply put your boyfriends name on your child's birth certificate because he helps to support your child. If your boyfriend was able to ever adopt your son, after marriage, then he would have legal rights. But no, you can't simply remove the biological father and add your current boyfriend to a birth certificate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.