Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Georgia

Q: Does FL have to follow GA child laws

I gave birth to my son in FL and his "father" did not sign his birth certificate. After a year in FL my son and i moved back to GA and stayed for 14 months making him and i GA residents. On May 21st i was trying to return to GA and his "father" wouldn't give me my child and FL police won't force him to return to me.

What laws or documents can i file to force him to return him to me?

've tried filing in FL and they said i don't qualify to fle due to not being a FL resident

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The father is kidnapping, plain and simple. Even if he had signed the child's birth certificate, that gave him zero rights to that child. If the father has not legitimized, he has no rights, no custody, and no visitation. He should return that child or he is committing a crime. I'm shocked the police did not inform you that the father was kidnapping because he has no court order giving him any custody or visitation. You should immediately hire an attorney to help you file for an emergency hearing. You would be filing your case in GA and having the father served in FL. Speak with an attorney directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.