Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: I am filling for a contested divorce and the lawyer of the respondent doesn’t want to submit the necessary documents

What can I do for the lawyer to submit the documents needed

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The other side only has to submit documents if you have asked for them the correct way. If you have properly filed and served request for production of documents, interrogatories and request for admissions, you have to follow up to make an effort to resolve the dispute. If you have done that, then a Motion to Compel that is in compliance with the superior court rules is necessary to compel the responses. You should probably get an attorney to help.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you are going to represent yourself against another attorney then you will have to determine the proper pleadings to file and steps to take. Unfortunately, attorneys here cannot give you the steps to represent yourself. Prior to the filing of a motion to compel you must make a good faith effort to resolve the discovery dispute. This information is in the Uniform Superior Court Rules. You have to figure out how to represent yourself or hire a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.