Lawrenceville, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: Hi! My sister passed away three years ago and she left behind a precious little girl! Who is now 5 years old. Her dad is

In her life and now he is the the next person up to have my niece which our family understands. His mother now is acting weird and starting stuff with my sister of the family. There’s time where she thinks she’s replacing my sister and got offended by that when we told her that’s not right and ever since then. She now getting random messages saying me or my family is sending her. She cussed at my mom multiple times, she just making it very hard this familY and it seems like an issue every time. We only see my niece on the weekends because she stays with her dad but she actually stays with her dad’s mom. Which is why we are here. Not once he stand up to his mother now we are and I need help because now I can see my niece catching along what’s happening and we don’t need that for her. I need help please because it’s very upsetting and hurtful and I just need help getting my niece! Please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It is likely the father now has sole legal and physical custody of his child, if he has legitimized. Any visitation anyone else is seeking, that the father will not voluntarily give, you must go through the Court to obtain. A judge will have to decide what, if any, to award you, if the father objects to said visitation. I would speak directly with an attorney to determine what your rights may be for some visitation or part of the child's life.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.