Conshohocken, PA asked in Tax Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Is interest due on over payments in an upset sale? That is taxes due were $15,000 but county collected $185,000.

County has held the overpayment for 28 months.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Pennsylvania, if the county collected an overpayment during an upset sale, they are typically required to refund the excess amount. However, the law does not always mandate that interest be paid on such overpayments.

The Pennsylvania statutes regarding tax sales and overpayments do not specify an obligation for counties to pay interest on these amounts. This means that while you are entitled to a refund of the overpayment, receiving interest on the held amount may not be guaranteed.

To address this issue, you may need to contact the county directly and request the refund. If they refuse to pay interest, you can consult with a legal professional to explore any potential legal avenues for recovering the interest. It is also advisable to review the specific county regulations or any applicable case law that might influence this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.