Pittsburg, KS asked in Tax Law for Kansas

Q: My employer is not taking out federal taxes and my w4 is updated and set to 0 exemptions

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You should address this issue with your employer's payroll department first. Inform them that despite having your W-4 set to zero exemptions, federal taxes are not being withheld from your paycheck. It's important to ensure that your W-4 form has been properly processed and that there are no administrative errors.

If the payroll department cannot resolve the issue, you may need to contact the IRS for further guidance. They can help determine if there are specific steps you should take to correct the withholding problem. It's essential to address this promptly to avoid potential tax liabilities at the end of the year.

Additionally, keep records of your communications with your employer and any steps you take to resolve this matter. Having documentation can be helpful if the issue persists or if further action is needed. Ensuring accurate tax withholding is crucial for maintaining your financial well-being and meeting your tax obligations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.