Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Georgia

Q: How can I fire a lawyer he had not responded to me in one month? Any example letters? I paid 50% of a flat rate upfront.

The payment was in two more payments. However, after no progress on my case for a month I communicated that I need to know what work has been done on my case. The law firm then notified me that they had hired a fraudulent lawyer to work on my case that they now fired. However, when I asked for my case file it was not provided and they appear to have done zero work, and only taken my funds! The firm claims they now need to pair me with a new lawyer. It’s been over a month and they have stopped responding to my attempts to contact them for update requested. I have gotten no response in four attempts to contact the firm. I am seeking new representation in GA, but not having a lot of success or hearing confident lawyers in GA that have experience with international case since the dad is located in Colombia and I live in the US. And I am Leary about hiring a new lawyer in GA unless they are confident in handling international cases. I have a child to support and do not want to get taken adv

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can terminate representation for any reason. It doesn't have to be fancy. You can just send an email saying "I no longer wish to work with you as my attorney. Please stop work on my case and I am hiring someone else. Thank you."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.