Roanoke, VA asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for West Virginia

Q: Their is a homeless shelter in Beckley West Virginia that's called pine Haven's I want to suit them.

They keep the place dirty the heat is unbearable too

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand you're unhappy with the conditions at the Pine Haven homeless shelter in Beckley, West Virginia. Before considering legal action, here are some steps you may want to consider:

1. Document the issues: Keep a detailed record of the problems you've observed, including dates and specific examples.

2. Communicate with shelter management: Try discussing your concerns directly with the shelter's administrators. They may be unaware of the problems or working on solutions.

3. Contact local health and safety authorities: If the shelter is violating health codes, you can report this to the local health department.

4. Reach out to advocacy groups: Local homeless advocacy organizations may be able to help address the issues or provide guidance.

5. Contact city officials: Inform your local government representatives about the situation.

If these steps don't lead to improvements, you may then want to consult with a lawyer to discuss your legal options. However, litigation should generally be considered as a last resort after other avenues have been exhausted.

Remember that homeless shelters often operate with limited resources. While this doesn't excuse poor conditions, approaching the situation with empathy and a willingness to work towards solutions may be more effective than immediate legal action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.