Can a divorce agreement be amended? I agreed to get medical thru my employer lost my job no longer have insurance

•  

Jeffrey Noe

Answered On Apr 4, 2013
You say "divorce agreement." I assume you mean a Judgment of Divorce. It may be possible to get the Judgment of Divorce amended. How difficult this will be depends on whether your ex-spouse agrees to amend the Judgment of Divorce. If s/he does not agree, it may be difficult. It also depends on the language in the judgment. It sounds like you may be seeking to have him/her pay for your health insurance because you lost your coverage. This will be considered spousal support. Your Judgment of Divorce may include language that says spousal support is "forever barred." In this case, it will probably be very difficult to get the court to give you spousal support. You should consult with the attorney who handled your divorce.