Alabama, AL asked in Estate Planning for Alabama

Q: My father recently passed away, there is not a will. Do my siblings and I have any rights to his estate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Under Alabama state law, Any part of the estate of a decedent not effectively disposed of by his will passes to his heirs as prescribed in specific sections of the statute. It really depends on if your father was married and how many other children are living. See the Code of Alabama Section 43-8-40 through 43-8-46 for the statutes governing your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.