Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: I just completed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy 5 year 100% payback plan and received a discharge.

In 2014 I co-signed a student loan application for my stepson. His mother and I got divorced later that year. All during the plan this “Sallie Mae Bank Inc” loan showed as being in a “Closed” status on my 3 credit reports. Now that I have completed the plan and received a discharge the... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jan 20, 2020

You can contact the credit bureaus regarding this but the bottom line is you are still obligated on the note. Was it not dealt with in your divorce?

1 Answer | Asked in Agricultural Law for Alabama on
Q: In Alabama, is there any law stating that a Horse must have a shelter? if so, Is a tree(s) considered shelter?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 20, 2020

This is really something that attorneys in the Animal Law/Dog Law section would know best. But your post remains open for four weeks. You could try reposting there for better chances of the question being picked up. But I can't imagine any statute, however austere in nature, allowing a tree to pass... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Alabama on
Q: In Alabama, what does the DR stand for in Case number DR2019-77
Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney answered on Jan 20, 2020

It stands for "Domestic Relations," indicating that the case is in the Domestic Relations (i.e., Divorce) section of the Circuit Court.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Alabama on
Q: I am having trouble finding 4-Year degrees for paralegal studies. I want to go to law school after but need a bachelors.

I am a junior in high school and want to be lawyer. I need a bachelors to get into law school and want that to be in paralegal studies as that seems like an easier field to start off in without job experience. I have found certificates and 2-year programs but maybe I have overlooked somewhere.... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 19, 2020

Don't knock yourself out selecting a major on the basis of whether it will be best-suited for law school. Paralegal studies is good. Criminal justice is good too, as are dozens of majors you can choose from. They both give you options if your plans change. Experienced paralegals do much of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Alabama on
Q: Can the city of Millbrook have jurisdiction in Prattville on highwAy 14

I was pulled over by Millbrook city officer after I had crossed under the interstate 65 exchange and beyond the first red light you come to when you cross into Prattville on highwAy 14.he pulled behind me at the red light and when the light turned green turned on the blue lights.I don't believe he... Read more »

Whitney Benjamin Polson
Whitney Benjamin Polson answered on Jan 17, 2020

Venue is the legal term for where a legal case can be tried. If the crime and arrest were outside the city limits jurisdiction of the Millbrook officer, then your criminal lawyer can file an appropriate motion to dismiss the charge for improper venue.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Alabama on
Q: Can the biological father be responsible for cs if another man intends on claiming paternity?

I'm soon to be having a baby and know who the bio father is but he has been absent and not in contact since the first couple months of the pregnancy. I have been in a relationship with another man for the majority of the pregnancy and he is happily willing to claim paternity of this child despite... Read more »

Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones answered on Jan 15, 2020

Hello. Whomever is listed on the birth certificate or signs an acknowledgment of paternity will be the man responsible for child support, unless there is a court action to prove otherwise. Falsely putting a name on a birth certificate or paternity acknowledgement will only create an expensive mess... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Alabama on
Q: My creditcard company(Discover)is preparing to sue me.Can I be sued(wages garnished,etc) if they are unable to find me?
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan answered on Jan 15, 2020

After a reasonable attempt to locate you for personal services of the Summons and Complaint, and after filing an Affidavit with the Court verifying that you are not deployed on United States Military Service, the creditor can file a Motion with the Court for permission / authorization to "serve"... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Alabama on
Q: Can I move out if I get married at age 18 in the state of alabama?
Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall answered on Jan 13, 2020

Yes, you can. You can also move out whether or not you get married, so if you're getting married just so you can move out, don't bother. Just move out, Now, whether you OUGHT to do either one - get married or move out - are different questions, but with respect to whether you CAN do it, the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Alabama on
Q: 21yr daughter- full time college student, does child support continue for Grad School

her dad pays child support directly to her and mentioned it would be stopped after her May 2020 College graduation. she is pursuing Graduate School, what does the law say regarding Graduate school and dependants ( she will not be working full time)

Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones answered on Jan 8, 2020

Hello! Post minority (after age 19) support is no longer allowed in Alabama and has not been allowed for several years. Without looking at the order or your agreement, you are bound by whatever it says. As far as the law on graduate school students and owing them child support in 2020, it would say... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Alabama on
Q: If u have court order pay 1200 in Ms. And move to AL, how does child support work. if u go though dhs.
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones answered on Jan 8, 2020

You still owe $1,200.00 in child support through the MS judge's order. It is handled the same as it has always been and you should still be paying the same way. It does not become an Alabama issue unless you make it one by moving the case to Alabama. Best of luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Alabama on
Q: What can I do if I'm not able to pay my child support and what's going to happen if it dont get paid?

Please help me with this

Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones answered on Jan 8, 2020

Hello. You need to ask for a modification of child support if you cannot pay the amount you are ordered to pay. If it does not get paid, you are exposing yourself to being in contempt of court for non-payment with all of the options available to the court in order to get money from you to pay what... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Alabama on
Q: Paid off child support but owe interest am i still obligated to pay the interest
Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Jan 7, 2020

Yes, you are usually still obligated.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Alabama on
Q: Next Step(s) after not getting a response from the defendants? All parties served by Court. It's been 30 days.

1.Because I could not obtain legal counsel for this case and was running out of time (24 month statue of limitation), as Pro Se, my petition asked for a Bench Trial (good or not?); 2. Since it has been 30 days, after filing the Complaint and neither party has answered, even though they received the... Read more »

Christopher Belk Estes
Christopher Belk Estes answered on Jan 6, 2020

1. Bench trial versus Jury trial - it all depends on your venue (what county you are in) and the type of claim you have. Juries are drawn from the people of the county where you filed your claim - if those residents tend to be more conservative or liberal in general, that is likely what your jury... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Alabama on
Q: You I had a guy rear end me at a red light and it was the guys fault well now his Insurance company is leaving me stuck

His insurance company got me a rental car and now I was informed I have to return it tomorrow. Their garage totaled out my car now they say the check for the van has to be paid to this shady lien holder so now I’m going to be stranded and no money. I’m disabled and I don’t get money until the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 5, 2020

I'm very sorry that all these things are happening to you on top of the recent loss of your husband. Unfortunately, when it comes to rentals, the allowances are strictly monitored. Once a check is cut, or once a determination of damage is made, that's about the end of the line for the rental.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Alabama on
Q: My aunt died. I was POA. Her will was written 25 years ago names her brother executor. He is 88 & Lives out of state.

Will that cause a problem trying to probate the will? Does he need to be local?

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Dec 28, 2019

If the executor named one the will is incapable or unwilling the court can appoint someone else. You can hire a probate attorney and ask the court to appoint you.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Alabama on
Q: I was trying to figure out how I can get back child support in the state of Alabama

Father is currently receiving disability

Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Dec 27, 2019

Contact the Attorney General Child support division for the State of Alabama.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Alabama on
Q: What are the laws on cutting through a service station or business to avoid a red light?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 25, 2019

You should check with an Alabama traffic ticket attorney for actual statutory authority on this issue, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a general matter throughout many jurisdictions, the act of doing that is codified as "avoiding a traffic control device," or something to that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Alabama on
Q: As grandparents Do we have rights to have our grandchildren during summer vacation? Their mother, our daughter died

Last year, 3 yrs after her divorce. The ex husband remarried. We had the grandchildren last summer. Step mom accused as of damaging the boys by disregarding her rules. We did not, but we did allow the kids more freedom—less chores, more playtime, later bedtime, and allowing them to sleep in.... Read more »

Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale answered on Dec 22, 2019

You can certainly involve the court in enforcing the rights you do have and perhaps petition to expand those rights. The issue of grandparent visitation is very controversial and subject to many constitutional challenges. Most judges and the legislature take an expansive view but the statute that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Alabama on
Q: I sold my deceased Father's house on 3/15/19 in Montgomery. This week I was contacted by the Title Company saying that

I owed $177 in property taxes and $288 for interest. Am I required to pay this since the property has a new owner as of 3/15/29 ?

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Dec 20, 2019

What are they going to do if you don't pay it?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: What is the best approach to filing a appeal with ninth circuit Court of appeals?

What type of attorney would I need when dealing with this type of case?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 19, 2019

It would depend on what the matter involves; your posted categories cover several areas. Find an attorney who handles appeals in the area that your case involves. You could look up attorneys on this site or through your own independent searches. Without knowing anything about the subject matter of... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.