Ventura, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for California

Q: What type of a lawyer do i need?

I was hired to fix up a rental house with an eviction notice recently (with the home owners approval). on my first day of work, when all of a sudden four police officers with their guns drawn and one of them pointing at me shouted "don't move, what the fuck are you doing here? we got a call from some that there is someone at this residence burglerizing the place" i told them to call homeowner to please verify!! instead they started checking my pulse, checking my eyes and nose, and next thing you know, i was being arrested for being under the influence, smoking device and possession(a felony charge). do they have the right to start searching for incriminating evidence when they clearly knew that there was no robbery in progress. The stupid house was empty, the police knew about it since they were at residence a few days before for something eviction related. at court the i was convicted of 11550 and violation of probation. do i file for appeal to change plea or what??????? idk.......

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy James Walton
Timothy James Walton
  • Aptos, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can't really change your plea without the cooperation of the District Attorney. Were you not represented by counsel at trial? You should direct your questions requiring legal advice to your counsel of record...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.