California Questions & Answers

Q: I need to get on the deed of a house currently owned by my mom- but inhabited and paid for by me- where do I start?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
Vincent Gallo's answer
You should start by asking your mother to cooperate in preparing and executing the deed conveying title to the real estate to you.

Q: Can I be locked up for a bench warrant over 2years I didn't was issued

2 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI and Car Accidents for California on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer
need more info

however, if this is isolated and you have a good excuse for why you did not do something, then you should not be locked up..........but you could be.

if you are in a position to hire a lawyer contact me and i will help you find one for the court you are assigned to attend.

you should write out a detailed summary of the facts, as a lawyer bills for time and why have the lawyer play secretary and bill you for time.

Q: what are my rights as a patient when I'm awake and buy a maintenance man on a ladder standing on a ladder in my room

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Antitrust and Civil Rights for California on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
Louis George Fazzi's answer
If I understand you correctly, you are an inpatient in a hospital room in which you awoke at 1:30 a.m. to find a maintenance man on a ladder in your room, apparently working on something. As a patient, whether you are in a private room or not, you do not have the same right to privacy as when you are in your own home or a hotel or motel. You are in the hospital's premises. You may want to talk to your nurse to let him/her know that the incident was unexpected and upset you. However, the nurse...

Q: How do I prepare for a 36626 appropriately.?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Civil Rights for California on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
Louis George Fazzi's answer
This is an inappropriate question for California attorneys if you are in Washington state. We cannot assist you with Washington state law.

Q: Is it considered theft if someone finds a lost dog and doesn't follow protocol to find the owner of the dog?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for California on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
William John Light's answer
Report him to the police. They will determine if there is evidence of theft, or of selling stolen property. Sue him for the value of the dog in Small Claims Court and for an order to disclose the identity of the person to whom the dog was sold. He was required by statute to notify the owner within a reasonable time and apparently did not take any action to do so.

Civil Code § 2080. Duties of finder Any person who finds a thing lost is not bound to take charge of it, unless the...

Q: Can i get jurisdiction in California, my son was born there. And my husband had filed for divorce in New Mexico.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for California on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
Angelina Bradley's answer
For California to have jurisdiction over the divorce, you’ll need to live in California in the county you wish to file in for here months prior to filing. For California to have jurisdiction over custody your son will have to have lived in California for six months prior to the date of filing and there can’t be another state claiming jurisdiction.

So probably not.

Q: Iam a Trustee on Dads will & Trust. He recently passed 1 month ago. I have 4 siblings. If there are no instructions how

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for California on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
Sally Bergman's answer
These are all questions that should be answered by the terms of the trust. If you have any doubt, you need to have an attorney look at the trust document and evaluate what needs to be done.

Q: If I received a DUI in CA with an NC license about 13 years ago, paid the fines but never too the classes and closed It

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for California on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
John Karas' answer
Unlikely. North Carolina participates in an Interstate Compact in which states share driver's license information including DUI's and suspended licenses. Not having completed the DUI classes in California resulted in your license having been suspended by the issuing state's DMV but you are also in VOP (Violation of Probation) on the DUI conviction in California.

Your best course of action is to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer to assist you with getting the VOP resolved and...

Q: Do nursing homes have to be licensed to operate in California?

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for California on
Answered on Sep 22, 2018
Sally Bergman's answer
Nursing homes are highly regulated in California. There are several different types of licenses, depending upon the type of facility it is. For example, skilled nursing facility, assisted living, board and care, etc. You can find a lot of very useful information and resources at California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform at

Q: what does jurisdictional discharge mean?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for California on
Answered on Sep 22, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer
More info needed.

I assume they are saying that tho incarcerated in one jurisdiction they are releasing him to be transported to another jurisdiction where there are warrants on other cases

Q: My trial lawyer just admitted to never reviewing the evidence in my case via email. How do I bring this to court?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for California on
Answered on Sep 22, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer
U need a Crim appellate lawyer in Ventura CO...!i am in Palm Springs.

Did the court appoint a lawyer for this for you?

Is your old lawyer cooperating or denying?


1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for California on
Answered on Sep 22, 2018
Nancy J. Wallace's answer
Yes, the injured worker and the employer have the right to ask questions of the Agreed Medical Evaluator. That said, the AME thinks A LOT about his conclusion before he signs the report, so he would have to have a LOT of new evidence to change his opinion on anything.

Q: Can I get in trouble for renting a room from a principle tenant if the landlord finds out?

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for California on
Answered on Sep 22, 2018
N. Munro Merrick's answer
When you say the landlord "stated", I assume you are talking about your lease/rental agreement. If there is such a clause in your lease, a violation is an uncurable default and would give the landlord the right to evict both of you. I would suggest you approach the landlord and ask his permission. He should have you sign a sublet agreement.

Q: my husband walked out on me when I came home from the hospital with hospice my kidneys had completely shut down

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for California on
Answered on Sep 22, 2018
Angelina Bradley's answer
If you are receiving government benefits for your medical conditions (SSI/SSDI, SNAP, MediCal), you'll likely qualify for a waiver of the $435.00, and you should apply for his waiver anyway given all of your hardships.

You can go to the Contra Costa County Courthouse's self-help center for free legal information and guidance in filing yourself so you don't have to hire an attorney.

You may want to reach out to the Department of Public Social Services to apply for aid from them...

Q: Legal rights as a tenant where landlord is selling property? Nothing in lease agreement about him violating the contract

2 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for California on
Answered on Sep 21, 2018
Salim U. Shaikh's answer
Where a LL is selling his property, he in fact sells all his rights to a buyer. That means your lease cannot be automatically terminated unless you opt to move out. If current LL or buyer wants you to vacate that premises prior to expiry, they are bound to relocate you and bear its cost. They are also bound to refund your SD immediately.

Prior to entry/visit, LL has to notify you at least 24 hrs before visit so that you can manage accordingly or suggest that time when you are...

Q: Trying to collect on a judgement on a business that dissolved after my judgement. What do I do

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Small Claims, Consumer Law and Business Formation for California on
Answered on Sep 21, 2018
Vernon Charles Tucker's answer
If the Corporation dissolved typically you are out of luck and have an uphill battle in front of you to enforce the judgment.

However, its complex and requires motion work, but if certain facts are present you could argue the new corporation is the same as the old corporation or is an "Alter Ego" of the old corporation. This may open other doors that could apply pressure to judgment debtor if they are one in the same.

I would look at the amount of the judgment, and see whether...

Q: I was harassed online by an adult whom lives in another state. How do I go about pressing charges?

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment for California on
Answered on Sep 21, 2018
Salim U. Shaikh's answer
It falls more under cyber crime than harassment when you are living in another state. If being bullied, why did you maintain your contacts still?

Q: What are the options and requirements for reinvesting Homestead Exemption funds while in Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for California on
Answered on Sep 21, 2018
Peter Maurice Lively's answer
California Code of Civil Procedure Section 704.710 provides the definition of a dwelling and the types of dwellings which may your homestead which include a house, a mobile home, a boat, etc.

If you don't reinvest the homestead funds within the six months deadline, the trustee will be able to take back those funds for the bankruptcy estate.

You should consult with an attorney regarding your deadline and the residence requirements.

Q: What are nursing homes required to have in place to prevent falls?

1 Answer | Asked in Nursing Home Abuse for California on
Answered on Sep 21, 2018
Travis Kendall Siegel's answer
Whatever the resident needs to prevent them from falling because there is no one size fits all solution to falls. State and federal regulations require the nursing home to provide the care and assistance needed by the resident to meet their needs. Sometimes bed alarms work. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes more assistance and supervision works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes redirection and resident education work. Sometimes they don't. They way to prevent falls is to address the resident's...

Q: What is good cause for quitting and how do I show good cause for the state of Nevada??

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for California on
Answered on Sep 21, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer
You are posting this on a Calif PI/DUI forum

You probably need to inquire from Nevada Labor Law atty

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.