Clover, SC asked in Family Law and Child Support for South Carolina

Q: I'm the CP. NCP owes over 5000 in CS. It was over 10000, but she deliberately went back & forth to my home state & hers

Claiming pymts tht were not made, eventually confusing both CS offices in both states until my case was closed due to "non-cooperation". Im from SC and she lives in TX. Every time the bal. gets over 5000 she starts the manipulation scheme. In the end, the credit is given (w/o my consent) and I cant do anything about it. i was ordered to pay 2000 yr in travel expenses for visitation but she is not paying child support at all and I need help. pretty soon her balance will be back to where she wont go to jail and I have to start over again for the third time. All I want is help. Is there not a way to stop her manipulation and fraudulence with both states? please help me. I'm married with a wife and four children to support at home. She will not stop and says she will never pay me a dime. She enrolled in school to become a lawyer (ironically) & is now a sngl mthr of a 2 yo (not mine) she religiously collects CS for. TX CS worker told me today a TX judge will not prosecute bc of this. Help?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robin R McLean
Robin R McLean
  • Lexington, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Is the Court Order which set child support issued from a South Carolina court? If so, and you and the child are still in S.C., then the court retains jurisdiction. You should file a Rule to Show Cause against her (don't wait for the clerk of Court to do it), and part of the relief you request is that she pays through the Clerk of Court's office. By doing so, she MUST pay through the court or she will not get credit for it. I strongly urge you to get an attorney who can make the appropriate arguments for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.