St Paul, MN asked in Criminal Law for Minnesota

Q: What can I expect to happen in court with a citation of Obstructing a Legal Process? Do I need a lawyer?

My minor son was detained at a high school game for "disorderly conduct" the officer released my son into my custody and said he would receive a ticket in the mail and that the sergeant would call me later on that night to explain why my son was taken into custody. The officer didn't call me back within a couple of hours so I phoned the police station to speak to the her before I went to bed. The conversation ended by me hanging up the phone after she was very rude to me. She said she didn't have my sons information. Later I received a citation for a court appearance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Douglas Kane Jr
Robert Douglas Kane Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Orange, CA
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Obstructing the legal process can be a very serious charge. It is a very fact specific crime. The possible penalties vary greatly, from a fine to prison time. From your very brief statement it appears you are probably on the lower end, but it is impossible to tell without further information. Apparently, the police officer felt you said something during the phone call to prompt this charge. More than likely the phone call was recorded. You would definately benefit from hiring an attorney because of this specific charge. Please give me a call for a free consultation. Did your son get a citation for the disorderly conduct?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.