Pottersville, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: How does a spouse recant testimony regarding sexual abuse which landed their significant other in prison?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hillard Fried
Hillard Fried
  • Ann Arbor, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It is possible for a lawyer to make a motion for a new trial based on newly discovered evidence—that being a recanting witness. If the court granted that motion, a new trial would be convened, and you would be called the the witness stand. The lawyers for the parties would cross examine you about your previous testimony. If the jury believed you, the defendant might be found not guilty. After the trial, the prosecutor would probably charge you with perjury, a serious felony. If the jury rejected your attempt to recant. again, after the trial, the prosecutor would probably charge you with perjury for falsely testifying in the second trial that your testimony in the first trial was false. Finally, the law views recanting witnesses with skepticism.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.